Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it
Men fight for freedom, then they begin to accumulate laws to take it away from themselves.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
No man can put a chain about the ankle of his fellow man without at last finding the other end fastened about his own neck ~Frederick Douglass
I leave you, hoping that the lamp of liberty will burn in your bosoms until there shall no longer be a doubt that all men are created free and equal. ~Abraham Lincoln
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?...I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
Who speaks of liberty while the human mind is in chains?
We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
~Edward R. Murrow
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.
~ Patrick Henry
Freedom is never free.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Resources for Veterans in the USA
A veteran is any person who has served in the US Armed Forces during a time of war or a time of peace. This can include the US Army, US Navy, US Marine Corps, US Air Force, US Coast Guard or the National Guard. Veterans, whether they served in a combat zone or not, have all given a portion of their lives to the protection and service of their country. They, and their families, willing signed up to make the ultimate sacrifice for their fellow citizens, and many have suffered physical and mental repercussions because of it – and many have lost their lives. Because of this, the US Government has several programs in place to help them with life after the military.
Government Websites For Veterans
- Department of Veterans Affairs Provides comprehensive information for everything that the US government offers to its veterans.
- Veteran History Project A website dedicated to the history of veterans of every war.
- Veterans Business Programs Provides information on the aid available from the US government to help veterans start their own business.
- Veterans Issues Provides information on current issues facing veterans and the White House’s plans to further aid these veterans.
- Transitioning Veterans The US Department of Labor provides information for veterans about how to transition from the military to the civilian workforce.
Veteran Benefits and Services
The US Government offers several services and benefits to military veterans. The most notable of these is paying for college tuition through the GI Bill. Any veteran who has a honorable discharge from the military is typically eligible to have most or all of their college tuition covered, as well as a living stipend. The Government also provides disabled veterans with a program known as Vocational Rehabilitation, which aids veterans in refining their job skills to meet today’s market. Outside of education, the Government also provides pension plans as well as a VA loan for mortgages. While the government does not handle the loan process, they do provide banks with a guarantee letter, which often allows military members with a chance of receiving a better interest rate on their mortgage and little to no down-payment. The US Government also provides monthly payments to disabled veterans based on a portion of their monthly salary while in the armed forces.
- Veteran Benefits Overview Provides a basic outline of the benefits available to veterans.
- Massachusetts Veteran Benefits Provides an overview of the benefits available to veterans whose home of record is Massachusetts.
- New York Veteran Affairs A website providing information about the benefits available to veterans in the state of New York.
- Veteran Pension Details the different types of pensions available to veterans.
- Benefit Finder An online tool provided by the US government to determine what benefits a veteran is eligible for.
- VA Loans Provides information on VA loans and how they work.
- GI Bill Information concerning the different educational benefits that veterans may be eligible for.
- Veteran Disability Provides an overview of the compensation available to disabled veterans.
- Vocational Rehabilitation Describes the benefits veterans may be eligible for to help them reenter the civilian workforce.
- Survivor Benefits Provides an overview of the three different types of survivor benefits available to veterans and their families.
Veterans Health and Well-Being
Due to the nature of military service, many veterans face mild to severe health issues following discharge. This can include any injuries sustained during their service as well as several mental health issues caused by seeing combat. The Government provides several mental health counseling services to these veterans, and disabled veterans are eligible to utilize any of the hundreds of Veteran Medical Centers run by the US Government. Many veterans are also eligible for reduced cost health insurance through the military provider TriCARE. The Government also tracks any potential health issues during periods of service, and may later compensate veterans for potential health issues that may be connected to their service location. An example of this would be compensation for exposure to asbestos and Agent Orange. The health of veterans is of the utmost concern to the US, and there are several programs in place to help them.
- Health Benefits Provides an overview of the health benefits available to veterans.
- Health Care for Veterans Provides information on the health care benefits available to veterans
- Veteran and Military Health Provides information on the possible health issues facing veterans.
- Veteran Health Describes the Center for Disease Control works to protect the health of active duty service members and veterans.
- Substance Abuse A resource for information and possible counseling of veterans who have developed a substance abuse problem.
- Veterans and Suicide An organization dedicated to helping veterans who are entertaining thoughts of suicide and their families.
- Veterans Mental Health An article that provides information on the current mental health issues of veterans.
- Tricare The reduced cost, full coverage health insurance that many veterans are eligible for.
- The Veteran Health Care System A report on the size, efficiency and support provided by the veteran health care system for veterans.
- Military Health The military health organization provides resources and information on health benefits for veterans.